The Danube Delta occupies a special place among the beauties with which nature has endowed Romania. Through the richness of the landscape and through its fauna it has gained the reputation of one of the most attractive deltas from around the world. The landscape changes when you reach Pardina Canal and the sand bank with the same name. You find yourself transposed into a Mongolian steppe with thistles rolling in the wind, the serpentine canal carrying the visitor in a perfect and mysterious world. The rides on the hidden canals can be made in the boats driven by the locals, the kayak being the ideal craft for expeditions. The big canals are easily crossed by recreational vessels.

The Church of the “Nativity of the Virgin” from Pardina has a large tower covered with galvanized sheet iron. The foreman of the Church is suspected to have been of Russian origin, the architectonic style being entirely with Slavic influence. (01)(02)

By 1860 the inhabitants of Pardina village who were mostly Christians have decided to build their own church on the land obtained through land allotment. For this purpose they asked for the help of the Ottoman rule that they have obtained and began to build the church dedicated to the “Nativity of the Virgin”. During that time a Turkish janissary namely Kirim, after he finished the military service, remained in Pardina commune.

He dealt with livestock farming and fishing, because he had two backwaters in the pond which he was exploiting. He received an order from the Turkish administration to begin the church construction. In those days the inhabitants had no means of transporting the material for the construction of the church. It is said that so great was the perseverance of this Turk for the construction of the church that he ordered the citizens to cut the spokes of the wheels of the chariot to be able to load and unnload easier the large oak logs.

This is only one of the actions of this Turk through which he supported the construction of the church. The church construction started around the year 1860-1865 by the congregation of the village. The cross-shaped church is built of thick oak logs.

The distance from the ground to the floor of the church was at least of one meter. It is said that children were playing under the church floor. It is assumed that the foundation of the church is in the ground because of the flooding.

The walls are built only from planks that cover the skeleton. Therefore on the inside and outside, the church is planked with boards.

The iconostasis is built like a wall with planks on which are hung various sacred images, isolated, a royal door and two deacon doors.

The older historical objects, dating from the nineteenth century are: Slavic religious books, St. Basil, St. Epitaph, painted and embroidered with white thread, two crosses of white metal and enamel, ark, candelabrum, bell from 1872 restored in 1907 and various sacred images on the iconostasis.